OPPO’s Battery Health Engine extends Find X5 Pro’s lithium battery life for better user experience and environmental sustainability
Not only is battery life a concern for smartphone users, but the issue of aging, unused, and discarded lithium batteries is also a growing concern when it comes to the future and sustainability. It is predicted that over the next eight years, global demand for lithium-ion batteries will grow elevenfold, reaching more than two terawatt hours by 2030. Demand comes from the rise of electric vehicles and small electronics such as Cellphones.
– Smart battery health algorithm
The Smart Battery Health algorithm tracks the real-time electrical potential on the negative electrodes inside the battery. It can dynamically adjust the charging currency within a reasonable range, effectively minimizing the occurrence of dead lithium while maintaining the maximum charging current. This helps ensure longer battery life and faster charging speed.
To fully understand how this innovation works, we must first explain the charging and discharging behavior of lithium batteries in mobile phones.
(1) The structure of a lithium battery: The process of charging and discharging can be simply regarded as the movement of lithium ions between the positive and negative electrodes.
(2) The movement of lithium ions: once the active lithium ions cannot return to the positive electrode under the impact of excessive current or overcharging, they will become dead lithium, which will lead to a reduction in the battery capacity.
(3) Dead lithium appears due to excessive current or overcharging
(4) Dead lithium leads to reduced battery life: Therefore, we need to keep as many active lithium ions as possible so that we can control the charging current. Currently, only by controlling the current and voltage in real time and within a reasonable range can we reduce the occurrence of dead lithium. It is the potential of the negative electrode which is an important indicator to help mobile phones monitor current and voltage in real time. In other words, if the negative electrode potential can be monitored in real time, we can prevent the occurrence of dead lithium.
In order to obtain the negative electrode potential in real time, the OPPO Institute has been exploring potential solutions in its lab for three years. Based on a large amount of battery performance data, the team continuously corrected the accuracy of the battery model to develop the Smart Battery Health algorithm which can track the potential of the battery’s negative electrode by real time.
With the blessing of this technology, smartphones could be able to match reasonable charging current for different battery capacities, charging adapters, battery states and charging stages by accurately judging the negative electrode potential. From there, we can then maximize the maintenance of lithium-ion activity and extend battery life.
– Battery healing technology
Along with a huge breakthrough in the algorithm, OPPO has also optimized the internal battery chemistry system in Find X5 Pro, applying a healing function through the use of Battery Healing Technology. By improving the electrolyte formula, the electrodes are continuously repaired during battery charge and discharge cycles, forming a more stable and durable film called the Solid Electrolyte Interface.
Solid electrolyte interphase, also known as SEI, is formed by the reduction and reaction of a small amount of polar solvent in the electrolyte. This happens when the lithium-ion battery is charged and discharged after gaining some electrons. It is then distributed on the surface of the positive and negative materials of the lithium battery, which can prevent the damage of solvent molecules on the electrode materials and improve the cycle performance of the electrodes. Therefore, during the process of shuttling lithium ions between the positive and negative electrodes, the electrolyte can work to repair the SEI – another key factor affecting battery life.
The battery healing technology helps the battery continuously repair the SEI during the charging and discharging cycle, which makes the SEI more stable and durable in real time. It also reduces the damage inflicted on the electrodes due to charging and discharging, thereby improving battery performance and extending battery life.
In OPPO’s latest lab test results, we found that the Battery Health Engine is able to maintain a battery at 80% of its original capacity after up to 1,600 charging cycles. This effectively doubled battery life by today’s industry standards.
Since the Find X5 Pro’s battery life is double that of the industry standard, it can maximize battery protection while improving the way people use their handsets.
– Achieve ultimate battery performance
It’s OPPO’s constant attention and development in battery technology that has enabled the company to transform the charging experience for users and increase the power of smartphones.
As a leader in charging technology, OPPO knows that the future development of fast charging cannot only stop at high power – it must also take into account aspects such as security, portability, compatibility and battery life.
At OPPO, the company is taking great strides towards upgrading the world of smartphone charging to completely revolutionize the user experience of smartphones while contributing to the future sustainability of lithium battery technologies.
For more information, please visit https://www.oppo.com/en/smartphones/series-find-x/find-x5-pro/
Copyright © acrofan All rights reserved